GRAND RAPIDS, MI – As screening for Ebola increases during some U.S. airports, a Grand Rapids transport medicine consultant offers recommendation for travelers to stay healthy on airplanes – and in a airport.
Avoiding non-essential transport to tools of West African influenced by Ebola outbreaks is a initial step, pronounced Dr. Iveta Dubravec, of Spectrum Health Medical Group. Countries that have been quite tough strike are Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea, according to the Centers for Disease Control.
Travel advisory updates are accessible by the CDC.
But Dubravec said, “There is no need to cancel that family outing to Orlando.”
Travelers are many expected to be unprotected to some-more paltry diseases like a influenza and a common cold. And for those illnesses, she advises surety measures such as visit hand-washing to revoke a risk of infection.
“It’s a good use to get used to good and visit palm hygiene no matter where we travel,” she said.
If a seatmate sneezes, she advises covering your possess mouth and nose with a hankie or headband – to equivocate inhaling droplets.
Dubravec, who works in Spectrum’s Travel Medicine department, pronounced she has not listened a lot of fears about Ebola from patients.
But she expects to hear some-more questions in light of a CDC;s proclamation Wednesday about Ebola screening for passengers from West Africa during 5 U.S. airports: Chicago’s O’Hare International, New York’s JFK Airport, Washington’s Dulles International Airport, Newark Liberty International in New Jersey, and Hartsfield-Jackson International in Atlanta. Those airports accept 94 percent of a passengers entrance from Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone.
Dubravec offering 8 tips for gripping yourself (and others) protected and healthy while traveling:
• Don’t transport if we are experiencing any pointer of illness.
• Get your influenza shot during slightest dual weeks before we travel.
• Wash your hands. Clean your hands entirely and often.
• Travel with a tiny (TSA approved) bottle of palm sanitizer. Use it once we are staid in your chair and again after we skip a plane.
• Take precautions when regulating a shower on a plane.
• Pay courtesy to any symptoms that your circuitously seatmates competence exhibit. As most as possible, try to keep your stretch and equivocate hit with anything they competence touch.
• Don’t share food or drinks.
• Cover your mouth and nose with a headband or hankie if someone nearby we sneezes or coughs in your direction. Discard used tissues right divided and afterwards rinse your hands carefully.