OKLAHOMA CITY – Blake Griffin is out indefinitely with a staph infection in his right elbow, withdrawal a Los Angeles Clippers though their All-Star brazen as they quarrel for playoff positioning.
They got off to a severe start in his deficiency Sunday, descending 131-108 to a Oklahoma City Thunder in their many unilateral detriment of a season.
“It’s tough,” indicate ensure Chris Paul said. “Tough loss, tough losing Blake. We’ll try to regroup and be prepared for a subsequent one.”
Griffin is to have medicine Monday in Los Angeles and be re-evaluated after a All-Star break.
Coach Doc Rivers pronounced when he schooled Griffin would be out, he “threw things around a room.”
“Obviously, I’m some-more endangered about him than anybody else,” he added, “because infections are no joke.”
Griffin is averaging 22.5 points, 7.5 rebounds and 5.1 assists while sharpened 50.1 percent. He was third in a league’s many profitable actor balloting final year. Rivers pronounced it will be a common bid to reinstate his production.
“I can’t design Chris to go out and get 40 a night,” he said. “Our pivotal other guys all have to play well. It can’t be one guy.”
Portland Trail Blazers ensure Damian Lillard will take Griffin’s register mark in Sunday’s All-Star Game in New York. West manager Steve Kerr of a Golden State Warriors will collect who replaces Griffin in a starting lineup.
Griffin missed what would have been his initial NBA deteriorate since of a knee damage after a Clippers drafted him with a tip collect in 2009. Since creation his entrance in 2010, he had sat out a small 4 regular-season games.
The Clippers came into Sunday in sixth place in a low Western Conference during 33-18.
They wish Sunday’s detriment wasn’t an indicator of what is ahead. Without Griffin’s jaunty participation inside, a Thunder outrebounded a Clippers 54-29.
“They killed us, and we’ve got to be better,” Rivers said.
Spencer Hawes, a former Washington Huskies and Seattle Prep player, started in Griffin’s place Sunday, yet Rivers pronounced he competence adjust going brazen depending on matchups. Hawes tied a deteriorate high with 17 points opposite a Thunder, all in a initial half.
“We have to do opposite things with Spencer,” Rivers said. “Spencer can’t pierce a approach Blake can move.
“Honestly, we didn’t have time to do anything about it today. we found out yesterday evening.”
Kevin Durant led Oklahoma City with 29 points.
Jamal Crawford, a connoisseur of Rainier Beach High School in Seattle, scored 21 points for a Clippers.
Two Clippers — ensure J.J. Redick and brazen Glen Davis — are carrying behind spasms. Redick didn’t play.
As for a healthy players, Hawes said, “Everybody has to step up. It’s on all of us. Guys are dropping like flies, it seems. We’ve all got to do a jobs better.”
The Clippers play during Dallas on Monday. “We’re depleted right now, though no one feels contemptible for us,” Rivers said.
• Mike Conley scored 21 points to lead horde Memphis to a 94-88 feat over Eastern Conference-leading Atlanta.
• DeMarcus Cousins made a 19-foot jumper as time lapsed and finished with 28 points and 12 rebounds as horde Sacramento kick Phoenix 85-83. Former UW Huskies standout Isaiah Thomas had 12 of his 26 points in a fourth entertain for Phoenix.
Thomas incited 26 Saturday and reportedly perceived a Bentley vehicle as a birthday present from a friend, fighting champion Floyd Mayweather Jr.
• Kevin Love scored a season-high 32 points as Cleveland routed a visiting Los Angeles Lakers 120-105.
• James Johnson had a season-high 20 points as horde Toronto kick San Antonio 87-82.
• LaMarcus Aldridge scored 24 points, heading Portland to a 109-98 feat during Houston.
James Harden scored 45 points for a Rockets.
• Pau Gasol dunked in a miscarry of Derrick Rose’s missed layup with 9.4 seconds left, and a Chicago Bulls won 98-97 during Orlando. Jimmy Butler led a Bulls with 27 points, and Gasol finished with 25 points and 15 rebounds.
• George Hill’s baseline layup with 4.9 seconds left gave Indiana a 103-102 feat during Charlotte.
• Nikola Pekovic scored 29 points as visiting Minnesota kick Detroit 112-101 for the third true victory.
Four weeks for 99 cents of total digital entrance to The Seattle Times. Try it now!
Article source: http://seattletimes.com/html/nba/2025656871_nba09xml.html