It is Jul 4th, and Stephen Gire and Nathan Yozwiak from my group are watching America’s holiday in Sierra Leone, bringing reserve and assist to a partners fighting a widespread of Ebola pathogen in their nation (Image 1). My thoughts are with them, with a patients and their families, and with all of a people on a front line of this conflict opposite one of a many dangerous pathogens amiability has ever seen.
Despite so most press coverage on a Ebola conflict in West Africa, small has been told of a unusual bravery, scapegoat and of a truly superb work of a group and women fighting this lethal disease. This is as brilliant, dedicated, and prepared a group as we will find anywhere on a planet. And while they do need a assistance and resources as tellurian partners fighting a pathogen that is ‘out of control’, they also merit a regard for their superb and drastic effort.
Over a blogs to come we wish to tell their stories. To begin, we wish to prominence usually a few institutions and individuals:
- The Kenema Government Hospital (KGH) in Sierra Leone, one of a usually centers in a universe that has diagnosis and diagnosis on-site for Bio-safety Level 4 (BL-4) viruses. The group there has been combatting another harmful BL-4 disease, Lassa fever, for a final 40 years, commencement good before a Civil War. They have grown clinical and high-tech investigate comforts and practices to diagnose, treat, and investigate BL-4 agents (Image 2).
- Members of a group from Sierra Leone, Nigeria, and a US, who all jumped into movement when a conflict of Ebola was initial reported in West Africa, environment adult evidence ability on site, good before a conflict reached Sierra Leone.
- Augustine Goba and a evidence group during KGH. Augustine, a local Sierra Leonean and shining scientist, diagnosed a initial box of Ebola in Sierra Leone on May 25, (Image 3) regulating an exam designed by Dr. Kristian Andersen on a group (used alongside standard-of-care assays) permitting scientists during KGH to locate a conflict during a inception. Members of Augustine’s team, operative in partnership with a WHO, USAMRIID, and Metabiota, have diagnosed 211 Ebola cases in nation and tested hundreds more.
- Lansanna Kanneh and a well-developed overdo team that led a evident response. There is no improved overdo group in a world, and we have witnessed initial palm how they remarkably rivet villages via a nation and teach a populations about Lassa pathogen and ways to fight a widespread (Image 4). They are operative now to strech people via Sierra Leone to teach them about a harmful new pathogen Ebola in their country.
- The people of Sierra Leone. While good regard should be given to a overdo team, a people they are operative with merit regard too. Their turn of rendezvous in overdo efforts is distinct anything we have seen in a United States. They are extraordinary and warm, and deeply meddlesome in training (Image 5). we had a good happening of being welcomed into these villages where we common a tent with a shining ecologist Dr. Lina Moses (Image 6); Lina has been operative in Sierra Leone for many years and has been on site given a widespread pennyless to support efforts.
- Dr. Humarr Kahn and a clinical group during KGH. These intrepid and untiring people have been operative around a time given May 25th, converting spaces to residence ~50 Ebola patients during a time, and risking their possess lives during each theatre to assistance others.
- The Sierra Leone Ministry of Health and Sanitation and supervision leadership, that has shown well-developed support during each stage. we am privately beholden to Professor Sahr Gevao and Dr. Brima Kargbo, who upheld a efforts in nation and abroad. Thanks to their care we were means to fast method pathogen from a initial 14 Ebola cases and 35 suspected cases during high abyss and have already done this accessible to a tellurian community. The longest partial of this routine was promulgation a samples to a US, and with a support of a NIH and World Bank, and a care of Dr. Christian Happi of Nigeria, we will be shortly changeable this bid to West Africa.
There are many some-more heroes that can be named here, though we wish to share their stories with we all soon.