Here’s a discerning morning look at sports stories and events that will be talked about any day – Thursday, July 3:
1. New Orleans Saints tight finish Jimmy Graham was strictly ruled a parsimonious finish by magistrate Stephen Burbank on Wednesday. In Burbank’s 12-page ruling, he wrote: ”The justification also supports commentary that, like parsimonious ends, far-reaching receivers and using backs mostly line adult in a container … and the defense employed opposite any actor so aligned turns on a player’s position, not his alignment.”
2. Guard Ben Grubbs is No. 12 in NOLA.com’s tip 20 Saints players for 2014. He warranted his second Pro Bowl outing in a past 3 seasons in 2013.
3. Former MLB saves personality Lee Smith is No. 42 in NOLA.com’s tip 51 Louisiana athletes series. He was innate in Jamestown, La., a encampment in Bienville Parish, and racked adult 478 saves from 1980-97.
4. If you’re still examination a World Cup notwithstanding Team USA’s elimination, a initial dual quarterfinals are Friday – Brazil vs. Colombia and France vs. Germany.
5. On this date in sports: July 3, 1947 – The Cleveland Indians signed Larry Doby, a initial black actor in a American League and the initial actor to go directly to a majors from a Negro leagues.