Nexus 5X or Nexus 6P? It’s a maze of conundrums for vast Android fans this fall. Google’s given us twin good choices, any with a possess singular arrange of interest — and that means we’ve got some severely formidable decisions to face.
I’ve been living with both new Nexus phones for a while and have spent tons of time mulling over what sets them detached in terms of real-world experience. You can see my in-depth review for a full spare on what a twin phones are like to use and where any one shines and falls brief (I’d rarely suggest it if you’re during all meddlesome in these devices) — yet here, we wish to tackle a specific doubt of that new Nexus is right for you.
In deliberation a twin devices, I’d start by meditative delicately about a following 3 areas:
I mentioned this in my initial impressions as a unequivocally initial thing we beheld about a Nexus 5X and 6P — and there’s a reason: It’s yet a doubt a biggest (both figuratively and literally) and many immediately poignant disproportion between a twin phones.
In a simplest probable terms, a Nexus 5X is tiny — during least, compared to many stream Android flagships — and a Nexus 6P is rather large. The 5X is yet a doubt some-more gentle to carry, hold, and use (especially one-handedly), yet a 6P is flattering docile as distant as plus-sized phones go.
If we tend to cite some-more compress and ergonomic smartphones, a 5X is substantially going to be some-more your speed. My wife, for instance, is entrance from a strange 2013 Moto X. The 5X is incomparable than that device, yet she’s found it to be utterly comfy — since she found a 6P to be proceed too unmanageable for her preferences. (She favourite a 5X so much, in fact, that we’ve already systematic one for her.)
But it’s all relative: The 6P is tighten in distance to a Galaxy Note 5 and unequivocally not that bad as distant as plus-sized phones go. I’ve never been many of a plus-sized phone man myself, and I’ve found I’ve gotten used to a distance flattering quickly. The doubt to cruise is possibly we cite or can during slightest tolerate a incomparable device — and if it’ll be value a positives you’ll get in lapse — or possibly compress and comfy is a tip priority for you.
One is comfortable and modest, a other sharp and polished. No, I’m not articulate about we and your initial poignant other (well, maybe that, too — I’ll let we confirm who reason that role). I’m articulate about a Nexus 5X and Nexus 6P, that are as opposite in character as pickles and porcupines. (Think about it. Those things are flattering damn different.)
The 5X is finished of plastic, that creates it feel light and inviting. It doesn’t give off a many reward vibe, yet it seems stout and well-constructed — not inexpensive or chintzy, as cosmetic finished a wrong proceed on phones infrequently can.
The 6P, on a other hand, is a metal-based beauty that’s reward as can be. It’s heavier and colder-feeling than a 5X, yet it’s as lush and solemnly designed as a best of ‘em. All a sum down to a differently textured steel buttons are delicately suspicion out and impossibly well-crafted.
Again, that proceed is preferable comes down to a matter of your possess personal preference. Sure, a 6P is objectively a nicer phone of a twin — unequivocally intentionally, by pattern — yet there’s something to be pronounced about a lighter and warmer-feeling device, too. Plenty of people like that vibe some-more than a metal-centric character (my mother included).
It’s not usually a differences in distance that apart a screens on this year’s Nexus devices: The twin phones’ displays are drastically opposite in a proceed they seem — and for some people, that competence be a make-or-break factor.
The Nexus 5X’s shade is a 5.2-in. 1080p LCD panel, while a 6P’s is a 5.7-in. WQHD AMOLED display. we wouldn’t spend too many time fretting about a resolutions; both screens are as frail as a eye can see, and all this pronounce over a need for Quad HD is tiny some-more than selling mumbo-jumbo (especially in a phone a distance of a 5X, where 1080p is some-more than sufficient).
It’s a type of arrangement in any phone that unequivocally matters here. The 6P’s AMOLED shade is as good as they get, with rich, colourful colors and blacks so low you’ll risk drowning in visible delight. It’s indeed a same form of Samsung-made row used in this year’s Galaxy Note 5, for perspective. (“SCREEN PRETTY,” if we cite caveman/me-in-the-morning speak.)
The 5X’s LCD shade is ideally fine, too — usually in a unequivocally opposite class. As we pronounced in my review:
If we were regulating usually a 5X — a proceed many people who buy a new phone would — you’d substantially be anxious with a peculiarity of a shade and wouldn’t spend a second of your time second-guessing it.
When we perspective a twin phones together, yet — or pierce behind and onward between them, as I’ve been doing these past several days — a 5X’s row looks noticeably pale and reduction colourful in a coloring. It infrequently even appears a tiny cleared out subsequent to a 6P’s punchy inlet (a common critique of LCD panels compared to complicated AMOLED displays). The disproportion is generally apparent with blacks, that are kind of grayish on a 5X — roughly like someone took a 6P and cranked a contrariety turn proceed down.
How many that matters is — we guessed it — a personal visualisation call. Neither my mother nor my brother, both of whom are now regulating 2013 Moto X phones, found they cared (even yet they could see what we meant about a differences). we consider a same will reason loyal for many “typical” smartphone shoppers.
Me? we don’t know that we can unsee a difference. we love looking during a 6P’s screen; I’m fine with a 5X’s, yet it wouldn’t be my initial choice — as evidenced by a fact that when we have both phones in my container or sitting in front of me, a 6P is always a one we grab. But afterwards again, I’m a man who spends hours staring during smartphone screens and mulling over their peculiarity (often while wringing my hands deviously and cackling like a demented donkey). So, yeah: I’m not accurately your normal consumer.
Other contingency and ends value considering
Take a low breath: We’ve finished it by a 3 large areas to consider over — a ones we consider will be a many poignant for many folks weighing out these twin new phones. But don’t stop respirating altogether usually yet: There are a few other points value noodling over in that ravishing noggin of yours.
Let’s energy by ‘em genuine quick:
- Stamina. The 5X is acceptably average, in my experience, while a 6P is unequivocally good. If an additional corner is battery life is critical to you, put a indicate in your 6P column. (Both phones charge ridiculously fast, for what it’s value — so it’s easy to tip off possibly with usually a matter of mins on a outlet.)
- Storage. The 5X comes with usually 16GB or 32GB of inner space while a 6P gives we a choice of 32GB, 64GB, or 128GB. (Neither phone has an SD label container for outmost storage expansion.) For many people these days, cloud storage closes a gap, and internal space isn’t that large of a deal. If you’re among those who like gripping lots of things stored locally on your phone, though, you’ll wish to take this into consideration.
- Performance. Both phones are generally discerning and snappy, yet we encountered a integrate of instances where a 5X struggled with some-more heavy-duty multitasking (see the second page of my review for details). If we consider of yourself as some-more of a energy user, a 6P competence be some-more befitting to your needs.
- Speakers. The 5X has a singular front-facing orator that’s fine yet zero special. The 6P has twin front-facing speakers that are meaningfully improved — still not spectacular, yet flattering good (especially compared to many smartphones).
- Camera extras. This year’s Nexus phones have matching imaging setups, and they’re extravagantly considerable (seriously — if we haven’t already, check out my corresponding Nexus-Galaxy Note camera comparison for an up-close look). The 6P has a few additional camera features, however: a Smart Burst mode that lets we reason down a shiver symbol to take a ton of cinema and afterwards have a phone now name and save a best 8 while also formulating an charcterised GIF of a transformation (pretty nifty, generally if we have kids); a ability to take slow-mo videos in twin opposite speeds compared to a 5X’s singular speed slow-mo choice (not certain how many many people will care); and an electronic picture stabilization underline to assistance cut down on shakiness for video capturing (a good tiny further for those of us with fluid and/or frequently wringing hands).
Putting it all together…
All right — you’ve got all a facts. So that Nexus phone is right for you?
Let’s work by it together. Choose your possess adventure:
1. Do we wish a smaller and some-more docile phone? Or are we fine with a incomparable device?
If a former, go 5X. If a latter, go 6P. That part’s easy.
2. Does a thought of carrying a some-more reward phone matter to you? Or is cosmetic usually as illusory in your book?
If we pronounced “yay” to a initial question, a 6P is a Nexus for you. If your “yippee!” fell on a second half, a 5X competence be your crater of tea.
3. How many do we caring about smartphone displays? Do we wish a best probable one out there — or is that not something we unequivocally concentration on, so flattering good would be good enough?
If top-notch arrangement peculiarity is high on your list, we wish a 6P. If it’s not something we worry about too much, a 5X is still in a running.
4. Do any of a contingency and ends mentioned above meant adequate to we to lean your decision?
If so — well, we know. Respond accordingly.
In general, I’d contend this: If we can understanding with carrying a incomparable phone, I’d go with a 6P. It’s an exceptional device in roughly each probable way, inside and out. Its delicately crafted physique and top-of-the-line arrangement make it a genuine pleasure to use, and a combined niceties like a twin speakers, exquisite performance, and additional camera functions are profitable elements to have.
Consider, too, that a 32GB Nexus 6P costs $499. The 32GB Nexus 5X — that is a indication I’d advise many people to get, as 16GB usually isn’t a lot of space to have on a phone these days — costs $429. So with all things equal on storage, we’re articulate about a sincerely tiny disproportion in price.
Now, all of that being said, if we simply cite a smaller phone, we positively wouldn’t drive we divided from a 5X. As distant as some-more compress inclination go, it’s hands-down a best all-around user knowledge we can get with Android right now — with a same glorious software, ongoing rapid updates, and glorious camera a 6P provides. And it unequivocally is comfy to lift and use in a proceed that plus-sized phones usually can’t match.
(And remember: Both phones are entirely unbarred and concordant with any U.S. carrier, including Google’s scarcely labelled multi-network Project Fi service.)
Two glorious choices — and for many of us, one magnificently formidable decision. Hopefully this beam helps we arrange by a critical differences and figure out that indication creates some-more clarity for you.
Know this: You can’t go wrong possibly way. And hey, suffer a anguish a little, would ya? This kind of formidable preference is a fantastic sort of problem to have.
More strange in-depth coverage:
- Hands on: 8 things we competence not know about a Nexus 5X and 6P
- Nexus 5X and 6P vs. Galaxy Note 5: A discerning camera comparison
- Nexus 5X and 6P deep-dive review: Google’s energetic duo